Monday, April 29, 2013

Control, independence, and other relationship hindering characteristics

Every character trait is subject to the eye of the beholder: laid back or lazy, planner or anal, kind or nieve.  The hope is we find a beholder that sees the positive side of our traits.

In an effort to convey how sick I was my doctor told me, 'One thing - you get to do one thing a day'.  It has taken me 2 months to finally accept that until I only do 'one thing' I will not get better.  Initially I figured that the 'one thing' was cleaning my apartment, verses doing the dishes.

As I have gotten sicker I am now realizing that my 'one thing' is really 'one thing'.  If I do my dishes that is it for me for the day.  I haven't gone to the grocery store in over a month.  I haven't cooked any meals that can't be made in the span of 3 minutes.  Chopping up fruit for a smoothie was abandoned about a month ago.

If I can only do one thing a day that means there are a ton of daily life items that I can't do.  I'm not a 'can't do' gal myself.  Lyme disease for a gal like myself is the bitch slap heard round the world.

It didn't take a disease for me to realize I am horrible at asking for help.  Nor did I need to get sick to realize I am independent and like to control situations.  I am a trained social worker - and a good one at that.  I know these things about myself, and have a list of ex-boyfriends for reference.  I am not a damsel in distress. When I get knocked down I pick myself up.  This isn't my first dance at the 'life sucks' rodeo.  I am a platinum member at the school of hard knocks.

But Lyme disease doesn't let me be me.  I can't take care of myself anymore.  I am no longer physically able to live by myself.  I have begun losing weight because I just can't cook myself food.  My apartment is beginning to have a distinct odor.  And my personal appearance is beginning to take a hit.

Tomorrow is my final day of work.  I had to pause for a few minutes after typing that.  It is one of many signs that I have to put my independence on the shelf.  I can't control this situation, but I can trust that one day in the near future I will get my independence back.  And it's gonna be one hell of a party.


No comments:

Post a Comment