Saturday, April 20, 2013

Fighting

After graduating college I went on a journey.  I lived with an organization dedicated to actively resisting the atrocities in their country.  Non-violence is often seen as 'passive'.  There was nothing passive about these women.  They knew that if they took to the streets to demonstrate demanding access to water they would be beaten and jailed.  What they also knew was that their credibility grew if they didn't fight back.  They fought to not fight.

After one demonstration I was called over to a car.  In the car was a mother and her baby.  The baby couldn't have been older than 1.  She had one lone tear stuck to her cheek.  When the police officers were beating the women they also beat the baby with a baton stick.

I don't have any children, but I four nieces and nephews.  My niece is currently the same age as that baby was.  Not only would I not remain non-violent, but I am pretty sure there would be a line of people behind me.  My brothers dog would probably be more effective than I would in my current state, but the sentiment is all the same.

The mindset is that there is a right and a wrong.  That there is rule of law.  That we have a right to freedom.  That bad things are punishable.  That if something bad happens to us - we are allowed and able to fight back.  Because when we don't feel like we have the power to fight back we lose a part of ourselves.  Going back to my parents house and doing nothing isn't my natural way of fighting.  But every minute I spend resting is my own active resistance against this disease.

Maybe I'll make a t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment