Friday, April 26, 2013

How My Hair Landed Me In The ER

I have never been good in heat, which is why I stay out of the kitchen.  However, Lyme disease has taken this trait to new heights.  In February my ability to stand up became compromised.  You know when you stand up too fast and things go blurry?  That began happening to me each time I stood up.  By mid-February about 5-10 times a day everything would go black, followed by seeing spots.  Once heat entered this equation staying upright became a challenge.

Once I started treatment showers quickly became problematic.  Lyme is sensitive to heat.  Meaning that the Lyme comes out of hiding when the body is heated to a certain temp.  Suffice it to say, when the Lyme comes out I go down.

My mom had come out for my first few days of treatment to help me get prepped for this battle.  She left Monday morning at 6am.  Monday at 6pm I took a shower.  I started to feel sick so I got out of the shower to get some water.  Then I woke up on floor, my head pounding, my heart racing, and 5-20 minutes of my life unaccounted for.  After some detective work I deduced I hit my head on a granite counter top and possibly a chair, and was out for about 5-10 minutes.  The doctor told me I had to go to the ER for a CT since I am on a high level of blood thinners, and because I'm not actually a detective.

One night in the ER and a clear CT later I was told that I need to stay lower to the ground.

I had long hair.  Long hair takes a while to wash.  Short hair takes less time.  Faster is better.  I now have short hair, yet the same amount of sass.



1 comment: