Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A Farewell Ode to Sugar

One of my all time favorite places is the gas station.  Fountain pop, candy galore, and so many wonderful treats.  My dad goes to the gas station everyday.  As a child I would beg to go with him.  He would let me pick out one thing.  Since I love gas stations I also love road trips.  Yes, there is a direct correlation.  If I am in the car for more than an hour I am justified in stopping at a gas station.

On Sunday my mom and I drove to New York.  On Monday we drove the 11 hours back home.  After a 2 hour stop over at the doctor.

Lyme disease is silly.  One of the most frustrating things is that I have seen 3 different doctors, each of which advised a different course of treatment.  I don't mean they think a few different things.  I mean everything.

Except for one thing.  Sugar.  No more sugar.  Zero.  None.  It's like the universe is telling me I am fat and have to diet.  There is cake in the kitchen and it mocks me.  Oreos chuckle as I walk past the cabinet.

I have had 25 cavities.  My initial attempt at eating better was to have my mom make me a double batch of homemade frosting with 'real sugar'.  It wasn't processed sugar.  So whats the harm.  Well the harm is that I'm not better.  Now the rule is ZERO added sugar.

If this hasn't convinced you of my love for desserts and sugar.  Not once, but twice I have ended relationships over dessert.  One guy ate the rest of my mom's pie she made me.  The other asked me where I wanted to go for my birthday dinner.  I told him I was up for any place that had a kick ass dessert menu (aka creme brule).  He took me to a restaurant that didn't serve dessert.

Sugar.  I love you.  I will miss you everyday.  I will send you light, love, and calories each time I think of you.  Till we meet again....

No comments:

Post a Comment