Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The little blue pill

When I was a wee little one my mom would rock me before bed time.  Once I had had enough I would point to my crib and promptly fall asleep.  You're welcome everyone who ever babysat me.

I have always known the value of sleep.  I'm an 8 hour type of gal.  College, grad school, no matter the obstacle I was always going to obtain 8 hours of sleep every night.  The minute my pretty lil head hit those pillows I was fast asleep.  And asleep I stayed until my alarm went off.

Now the only thing going off is my anxiety.  Despite being exhausted I can not for the life of me fall asleep.  Nor can I stay asleep.  And despite not having a lick of alcohol in 5 months, I wake up feeling hung over.

Restless and disturbed sleep is a wonderful symptom of Lyme.  Often times it also brings nightmares, and night terrors, and night sweats, oh my.  After much resistance I finally agreed to use sleeping pills.  They are a tiny little blue pill that up until now would at least allow me to sleep through the night.  Quite the opposite of another little blue pill on the market.

Ah but no, not even the little blue pill (LBP) can keep me asleep.  My new med that is meant to cure someone of the bubonic plague has spat on my LBP.  So in order to catch some un-interrupted zzzz's I now get to add 2 pain pills to the cocktail.

Or maybe I should stop watching the Wire before bed.  That McNulty is such a dog....

No comments:

Post a Comment