Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Apparently awesomeness doesn't cure diseases

I have been spending time in the pool.  My joints have made it impossible to walk or do my physical therapy.  So like an 80 year old I stretch out my legs in the pool.  The other day I was stretching away and a random woman began talking to me.  She asked what was wrong with me.  The minute I said Lyme disease she screamed, 'I can't talk to you anymore.  My friend just died of Lyme disease.'

Awesome.  Thanks for that.

When the doctor told me I was sick I honestly was most fearful of going bankrupt.  Credit scores are important people.  I never doubted that I would beat Lyme disease.  After all most people do beat it, or at least learn how to live with it.

When I first got sick I continued to work for about 3 months.  Bright idea, I know.  As my condition deteriorated my doctor told me it was time to go on short-term disability and head home to stay with my parents.  I was only supposed to be gone for 2 months.  Yesterday that 2 months was extended for another month.

I still have confidence I am going to beat this thing.  But there are set backs and moments of fear.  Yesterday was one of those moments.  Lyme disease is a lot of trial and error.  Which meds work?  How long do you have to rest?  But no answers.  That magical cocktail of drugs that will heal me has yet to be found.  Which is surprising considering my vast knowledge and love for a good cocktail.

If I can jump off a cliff at Victoria Falls over crocodile infested waters, I can surely beat Lyme disease.



3 comments:

  1. Hello, Sadie! Brian sent us the link to your blog earlier today. Blame him for my discovery of your crocodile jumping antics. In any case, if there's one thing you taught me during your time as my instructor it's =Sadie(beats_lyme). Corny... I'm well aware.

    The entire community still speaks fondly of you, and your presence is missed. I don't know what to say, since the typical "get well soon" doesn't properly address your situation. I'm at a loss of words, honestly. I'm also forced to now end this comment (or post or whatever) very awkwardly, my apologies.

    All the best,
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe!

    My crocodile stories were covered in Week 15 sorry I wasn't there to share them :) Love your use of Excel. I miss you guys too, and love hearing updates. I am doing my best to get well. Even making spreadsheets full of symptoms and medications.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been nice to hear more stories. I still can't believe one of your interns showed up in booty shorts. You don't have to worry about me though, I won't wear booty shorts to my internship. They simply aren't very flattering! I'm more of a leggings wearing man myself (gah, just pictured it).

      We're all a bit anxious to hear about our internship announcements (I have a pretty decent idea, I'm visiting tomorrow), other than that we're all doing well. Jemell has done a great job teaching the class, he is less sarcastic than you though :(. I've noticed a lack of STD spreadsheets (which out of context STD spreadsheet sounds even worse) in class. I got a few chuckles and a turning stomach from that assignment.

      I can definitely see the value of having a symptoms and medicine spreadsheet. Oh and thanks, I tried on the excel reference. I guess you could say it was an $absolute reference$! (I imagine David Caruso removing his glasses at this exact moment) Anyways, my thoughts are with you!

      Delete