Thursday, May 2, 2013

Vision, Hopes, and Reality

A friend of mine was big into the whole 'vision board' thing, and this year I decided to give it a go.  No, I didn't put 'contract a debilitating disease' on the vision board.  Out of the 9 things I did envision I have done 3.  Not bad, disease and all.

I like thinking ahead and planning.  But on certain occasions I like to look back.  My birthday is one of those occasions.  I don't know when it began, but I have a huge (unrealistic) love for birthdays.  It is a personal day to think about the past year - what went well - hear from people you haven't heard from in a while - celebrations - dancing - gifts - friends - family.  It is your own personal holiday.  A day to feel special.  A day to be over the top.

I enjoy being over the top.  I unapologetically love balloons.  I wear opera gloves.  Last year I put together a great outfit.  So great a man left a restaurant and came outside as I was walking by to say I was rocken it.  Now I am resigned to yoga pants and slippers.... Being sick for 5 months out of the past year has altered how I reflect on this past year.  But it also has altered how I am physically able to celebrate my birthday.

This birthday isn't what I planned or particularly wanted, but not even Lyme disease can ruin my love for birthdays.  Today I reflect.  Tomorrow I will get gussied up and pretend like I am not sick. Throw the yoga pants away.  Find my high heals.  Gather around a table with friends.  And apparently if you cry in your doctors office you may weasel your Lyme diseased way into a birthday glass of champagne!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment