Friday, August 23, 2013

CDC starting a Lyme news trend

Lyme is totally trending this week.  It was all over the national news thanks to a report the CDC released.  Let's not get crazy here and think the CDC finally admitted everything they are doing wrong.  But here is what they did admit to: 300,000 people are affected by Lyme each year.  Last year they claimed only 30,000 people were affected.  That's almost the same.

This admission has led to many articles as well.  One in particular in Boston I thought was well done.  The thing to keep in mind is that we are so far behind on Lyme disease. After 30+ years the CDC is only now acknowledging how many people are affected.  There isn't a reliable or accurate diagnostic test.  There isn't a standard treatment course.  There is no acknowledgement that chronic Lyme exists.  There is no test to show when someone is cured/in remission from Lyme.

No hitter and all that, but I know when I am getting a bit better.  I get my advocacy on.  This week when I had a few good days - holla!  I got to work.  There is an organization out there doing great things for Lyme: Tick-Borne Disease Alliance.  As the name implies it is 24/7 party.  Lyme disease is a controversial wench.  This group is starting at square one and I like that.  I mean I would prefer to take over the world and tell everyone what to do, but that hasn't happened.

So here you have it.  Tick-Borne Disease Alliance has a campaign where you: print off one of these cool signs, selfie, upload, and they are taking it to the hill.  The goal is to get funding to develop a diagnostic test for Lyme.  So selfie up folks!

I have also submitted the below op-ed to my local paper.  Thanks to Hillary for proofing my Lyme brain work! If you read this and have pull or know someone at a local paper feel free to share.  Sharing is caring.


"Every 29 year old’s birthday wish: signing disability papers, leaving a successful career, and moving in with her parents.  The culprit? A tick the size of a sesame seed, also known as Lyme disease.  The CDC recently acknowledged they have been historically underestimating the number of people affected by Lyme.  This gross neglect has left thousands of people battling a disease without answers.  Doctors rely on diagnostic testing and sign of a bulls-eye rash, neither of which are reliable, leaving a high rate undiagnosed and numerous untreated individuals.  We need an accurate and reliable diagnostic test."

No comments:

Post a Comment