Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Surgery #2: Lyme disease being your own doctor

Double IVing it in the ER
These below picture isn't for the faint of heart.  So I have been told.

Do people with other diseases feel as if they are their own doctor?  Making all pertinent medical decisions on their own.  You solicit opinions and research.  But at the end of the day you are the one making the call.  You are the one watching symptoms and patterns.  You look around for doctors that will do what you want them to do.  In the past 48 hours I have sent myself to the ER, pulled out a PICC, ordered a new PICC, and changed PICC locations.

After a stressful 3 hours of misinformation, what I like to refer to at lies at this point, I was told to come to the hospital in an hour for surgery.  So I did what anyone with 2 free arms would do.  Walked down the street and picked up my niece and nephew.  My niece of course had none of it.  Yesterday she cried when I wouldn't pick her up.  Today she demanded to be put down.  Point, Universe.

Van Morrison and I arrived at the hospital to a warm reception.  Lets just say all of the nurses remembered me and my frugal ways.  Upon my arrival they told me the doctor wanted to do a Tunnel PICC Line.  I asked for pros and cons.  What it came down to was a red silk dress.  I can now wear it to a wedding since my arm will be sans lines.

They did say the risk of infection was lower.  However, they said it in a way that not even a child would believe.  The doctor, who talked to me all of 1 minute, said this would save the veins in my arm for later in life.  In that same minute he also asked me if I wanted anesthesia.  I asked about the procedure and he said he would be able to do it sans anesthesia.  Damn challenges mixed with frugality - my one true kryptonite.

An hour later of feeling as if someone was stabbing my neck.  I am now left with this.  But I no longer have lines coming out of my arm.  And now I can give myself my own meds in a pinch.  Independence, what?

The preliminary blood cultures came back showing no growth.  However, if I never wanted to date again I would post a picture of my exposed PICC site.  Granted I'm not a doctor, not that a doctor has spent time looking at the site, but I'm gonna say that it shouldn't look as it does.

I hate being my own doctor.  I really wish I had a local doctor to call who could spend more than a minute talking to me about surgery.  Good thing I think so highly of myself.  I'll add this to my resume: CEO, Healy Lyme Disease Prevention.










No comments:

Post a Comment