Monday, July 29, 2013

55 shades of a sugar free diet

When I make a decision, I make it.  No looking back.  Full speed ahead.  On Saturday I decided that Sunday would be the day.  I relished in the anticipation.  Like a giddy school girl I could barely fall asleep.  I sat a little lighter on the couch.  I came down an hour early for dinner.  Then finally it was time.

The pie was placed on the table ever so delicately.  It seemed as if it took an eternity to cut each piece.  Then it was finally my turn.  The perfectly baked slice was in front of me.  I closed my eyes and exhaled.  It was finally time.  I savored each bite.  Meticulously deciding which would be my last bite.  I pressed my fork against the plate to ensure each crumb made it to my mouth.

A heavy sigh and I could no longer sit upright in my chair.  I could feel my belly expanding as if I was with child.  The beast had been awaken.  I needed more.

For 55 days I have lived without sugar, yet known where each piece of chocolate was kept in the house.  Averting my eyes was not an option.  I knew there was a Hershey bar resting in the door of the fridge.  Unopened graham crackers sealed to perfection and in the back of the drawer under potato chips was an almost empty bag of marshmallows.  

Despite my growing need, patience was paramount.  I knew in that moment I wanted, and needed a perfect golden brown mallow in order make this moment everything it could be.  Seconds felt like days and minutes felt like years.  Finally, perfection was reached.  Each bite better than the last as the chocolate melted under the warmth of the marshmallow.  It was time for the last bite.  I closed my eyes, felt the wind on my face, and the angels began to sing.

Today the cycle begins again.


No comments:

Post a Comment