Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Life is made up of moments. This is one I will remember.

WOZA MOYA!
In Zimbabwe it is illegal to gather in groups.  It is illegal to speak out against the government.  The women of WOZA demand bread and roses.  They demand to be treated with respect.  They demand clean water.  They demand justice.  These women take to the streets to non-violently demand these items and so much more.  The freedom, love, and pure joy they exude is contagious.

A few minutes after I snapped this picture riot police threw tear gas at the women, released police dogs, and jailed several women.  They weren't even wearing hoodies.  As if you thought I could resist commenting...

Life is made up of moments.  Some we remember.  Some that go by without any passing thought.  Today I had to submit my letter of resignation.  I had 3 months of short-term disability to recover.  I didn't.  In a few weeks I will be un-employed.  My doctor has determined that I am not responding to treatment.  He is recommending a PICC line.  A PICC line is a tube that will go from my arm to my heart so that I can receive antibiotics through an IV daily.

I chose the above picture for several reasons, but one of them is that there wasn't a goodbye.  I had to leave...suddenly one could say.  I am sure my parents would chose many other words.  But there wasn't a goodbye.  This moment in life isn't going to have a goodbye either.  Yes, there are phones, emails, texts, and skype.  Those are great.  But there is sadness in my heart not to be able to give some hugs, maybe shed some tears, make an inappropriate joke about disease, and say goodbye.  

This picture is also one of hope, because much to my parents dismay, I did get to go back and say some hellos and goodbyes.  I have a bit of regret that I didn't travel more places while in Seattle.  But I am happy to say that with the people I left it all on the court.  I gave everything I had in the moment I was in.  Since my soon to be vacant apartment was decorated in the nautical theme it seems that all that is left to say is, BonVoyage!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for everything sis. I don't care how you feel about it, you've been a great big sister in our short time; lessons, laughs, that time you called me a whore on the low, and critical thinking skills. I enjoyed all of it! See you later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sat here for a while attempting to think of what to say to give contexts to your whore comment. I have nothing. Not even critical thinking skills can help me with this one :)

      Delete
    2. Proof to every Dr in America; Sadie has no response, therfore Lyme is real! ...
      And I'm a Queen >:)

      Delete