Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Time to go to the mattresses

The past week has been consumed by fighting.  It can be broken into 3 different categories.  First, my short-term disability payments were incorrect.  Second, obtaining paper work for COBRA to ensure I didn't have a lapse in coverage took over a week to obtain.  Third, I was told approval for the PICC line should take a few days - not.  Still no word when or if I will be covered.

Sadie sans Lyme could remember all of these things.  I could keep my questions in order.  I could remember how to advocate for myself to ensure things got done.  But Lyme has fogged up my brain.  What this means is that it is difficult for me to remember things.  Not things from 10 years ago, but rather things from yesterday.  I can remember the names of people I have know for a long time, but people I have met recently since being sick pose problems.  I know who they are, but it takes me a while to recall names, if at all.  

I may not be able to recall names, but I do believe the people at Blue Cross Blue Shield know my name.  Bam.  Particularly the woman handling COBRA.  She may hate me, but squeaky wheel and all that. Further more, bitch please, all you have to do is email me a template with my name and cost of COBRA. I'll hold on the line until it is in my inbox.  Thanks.

The stress of all of this has resulted in some pretty ugly days around here.  Lyme stress manifests itself in several ways.  For me it has been chest pains making it difficult to breathe even while doing nothing.  My joints feel as if I am being tortured for state secrets and Jason Bourne is crushing my knuckles with pliers.  I constantly have ringing in my ears as if a swarm of bees were surrounding my head.  Prisoners unite.

Personally, I don't think people mean to make this process so difficult.  But difficult it is.  I never knew the pain of being sick and having to jump through these hoops.  Now I know those hoops have made me sicker.  So all of you important people out there - get rid of those hoops.  Fix your systems.  Pull yourself up by your boot straps.  Shout out to my Republican readers.  Make life easier for someone who is already going through hell.  Karma (insert your faiths calling to care for the sick) and all of that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment